Bow heads are people too!

The quest to Mess Madness continues. 
I can put a check mark by the closets!

Two weeks ago I posted this picture of my hall closet on facebook. I was surprised by the response. People empathizing and relating. But there were also "slap me in my face" comments from people SHOCKED and THANKFUL to know I had such a messy closet. 
It reminded me that peoples perception of me is not the reality of me. I have spent much of life in this boat. To the point that I wrote my 12th grade oratory on the subject. It was called "Bow Heads Are People Too". Here I am 20 years later still chasing down the topic.
So I thought I would provide some Carey perception busters for you!
1. I am tough to REALLY get to know.
I could tell you I am shy, an introvert or really busy. All true reasons that I am tough to know. But the fact is simply that it takes years of friendship and trust building with me to learn all the details of who I am. I once told a therapist that "my dating life stinks because guys tell me they are intimidated by me." I was hoping she would tell me I am not intimidating and instead she looked at me and said "okay, let's talk about what you do to be intimidating." I know I can still this way - I hear it from work colleagues. I don't mean to be. I am still a work in progress.
2. I wouldn't be the person I am today without therapy. 
Yes, I have spent a combined 10 years in therapy on and off depending on life's circumstances. I believe in it and recommend GREAT therapists for anyone who simply feels a bit lost in what do with emotions of feelings. Yes, it is hard to ask for help but for me it was worth the risk.
3. I don't keep junk in my trunk. 
If you knew all the traumas and dramas I have been through your mouth might drop. I don't come across as someone who has been through a lot of junk because I wake up each day and choose to see them as lessons learned and choose to see what God has taught me through the situations and circumstances. Oh yeah and therapy helped! :)
4. My screw ups saved me!
I tell people I have known Jesus since birth and have always been proud to call Him my best friend. But, I can say I never truly got Grace till I was 28 and allowed myself to screw up so royally that I had to get the power of His unconditional love for myself. I get it and I have a grip so tight on His love for me! I am thankful for His saving Grace each day!
5. JOY is the best medicine. 
People tell me I make it ALL (work, parties, kids, mothering, etc) look sooooooooooo easy! Well I am here to tell you it is not. None of it is easy but it is FUN! The things I do I do because I LOVE them and have a passion for them. I get up early and I stay up late.  If only I could add exercise to my passion list I would be golden. But there are plenty of days that I want to cry or I do cry because I get home from work at 6pm, the house is a train wreck and there is no dinner plan. I get grumpy because I feel like a failure as a wife and a mother. I beat myself up and wish I had planned better, wish I could stay at home or do more in the hours I have. But laughter and joy from my kids and husband snap me out of it and I start over again. 
Do I have messy closets? You bet! THAT is reality. 
"I'm baptizing you here in the river, turning your old life in for a kingdom life. The real action comes next: The main character in this drama—compared to him I'm a mere stagehand—will ignite the kingdom life within you, a fire within you, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out. He's going to clean house—make a clean sweep of your lives. He'll place everything true in its proper place before God; everything false he'll put out with the trash to be burned." Matthew 3:11
QUESTION: Do you think peoples perception of you is reality? 

Post a Comment

Joyful Remarks